Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Pittsburgh Born and Raised Antonio Reddic Proud to Represent Pittsburgh Area

Antonio Reddic was born and raised in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania and has been around sports his entire life. He is proud to represent the city of Pittsburgh and continues to show the passion for both basketball and his hometown on the court night in and night out for the Steel City Yellow Jackets


“Fight, Fight, Fight.” This has been Steel City Yellow Jackets Guard Antonio Reddic’s motto in everything he does. Reddic has been a member of the Steel City Yellow Jackets since the team was founded back on November 8th, 2014. He has lead the team to the playoffs in each of their first two years of existence, and Reddic currently leads the team in scoring with 194 points during the season. After starting the year as the sixth man off the bench, he has made his way into the Yellow Jackets every day starting lineup.

Reddic is tearing it up on the court for the Yellow Jackets now, but growing up in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania basketball was not his number one sport. Reddic was a star football player who played street ball from time to time and it was not until his 11th grade year when he found basketball and developed a love for the game. It was in a game against Schenley High School when it was cemented in his mind that basketball was the sport for him.

“In my 11th grade year we played against Schenley [High School] and I got to start,” said Reddic. “I was about to just stop and continue playing football, but then I saw a couple people like [Denver Nuggets guard] DJ Kennedy, [Phoenix Suns guard] Dejuan Blair, and a couple of the big names in basketball that I was reading about before I was playing. To be out there and doing as well as I was I knew I could keep reaching to the next level.”

This drive and determination helped Reddic to excel in the sport of basketball and in his senior year he lead Aliquippa to the state title against the defending state champions Prep Charter of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, after a great game by Reddic in which he scored a team high 23 points, ten rebounds, and six assists, Aliquippa would fall in the state title game leaving Reddic wondering what his next step would be.

“Right out of high school I didn’t have any scholarships for basketball,” said Reddic. “I had all football scholarships for division I, division II, division III you name it, but I went to Juco College in New York and I ended up breaking my collar bone, and that’s when I started playing basketball.”

It would be a long painful road back for Reddic, but eventually he would get back to basketball as he moved down to New Mexico state where he rehabbed and got back to the sport he loved. He would finish out his schooling at Edinboro University and that is where he met up with fellow veteran and Steel City Yellow Jackets team captain Gilmore Cummings. The two made an immediate connection and this is what ultimately landed Reddic with the Steel City Yellow Jackets.

“If it wasn’t for Gil I wouldn’t be here,” said Reddic. “I went to school at Edinboro when I transferred for football and he graduated from Edinboro where I met him, and from there we just connected.”

And that connection is what ultimately lead Reddic to the Steel City Yellow Jackets. Reddic has seen this team through all of the good times and the bad times. Since 2014 he has been on two playoff bound teams including a team that in 2014 started off the season 8-0. Through all of the ups and downs this is what has stayed consistent, Reddic’s love for the team and this city. He wants to be able to bring basketball to the many fans in the Pittsburgh area who have been longing for a basketball team for so many years. He feels that as the Yellow Jackets continue to grow, the possibility for basketball in Pittsburgh gets better and better.

“We are the only professional [basketball] team around here,” said Reddic. “People need basketball around here. People don’t think it’s a basketball city but it really is. We have multiple sports including hockey, football, and baseball but we just need basketball now and I believe we can do it. We just have to get the support from our fans and keep them believing in us and we can do it.”

Reddic is one of three veterans on this year’s Yellow Jackets team. Joining him are Team Captain Gilmore Cumming and veteran guard Lawrence Baker. Reddic has developed a great chemistry with these two and it has led to a strong core of leadership on this team to help the young guys continue to grow. Reddic says that Baker and Cummings have been his biggest supporters on this team and he has their backs no matter what happens with the team.

“I’m an only child and [Cummings and Baker] are like my brothers,” said Reddic. “Every step of the way I have their backs and they have mine no matter right or wrong whatever they want to do I’m all in for it.”

This chemistry and Reddic’s competitive spirit is what has given him the success he has had for the Yellow Jackets. Reddic plays with fire and passion that is almost unmatched on the court. This competitive spirit not only drives him on the court but drives him in everything he does. Whether it be on the court or with life in general, Reddic is determined to be the hardest worker out there and through hard work and determination he is determined to come out on top in everything he does. Basketball has been a big part of his life and he continues to show his passion for the game even at the professional level.

“[Basketball] means a lot to me,” said Reddic. “I’m a competitor, I love living for the extra fight, the extra adrenaline, and it’s great I love it. I love sports period and I’m just a competitor. It doesn’t matter if I’m playing basketball or soccer I just want to win.”


Reddic’s winning spirit and passion is what has lead the Yellow Jackets to two straight playoff runs and what will be needed in the future to make it three in a row. Reddic has been a big part of the Yellow Jackets success and he wants to play as long as he possibly can while still contributing. And the Yellow Jackets would love to have him for as long as they can while they look to capture that all important American Basketball Association title.

No comments:

Post a Comment